Sunday, January 06, 2008

Adventurous morning

While Daddy and Carolina headed off to church this morning, I took Timmy to the emergency room. I think he learned an important lesson -- do not put anything up your nose! He had stuck a small red plastic bead that was used to make some Christmas ornaments with the young women at church. At first, the nurse in triage had me try a trick she knew for expelling objects stuck in the nose. I wish I knew about this before. Please try this with your children before taking them to the hospital! Basically, you close the non-blocked nostril and blow in the child's mouth. And it works. I did it once and the bead came down in his nostril so that I could see it. Until this point, I wasn't even sure what was in his nose. I thought he was saying "needle," but he was saying "bead-le." ER people would not let me try the trick again -- they thought he might inhale it. I felt like we were so close. I think that maybe I should have tried it again when they weren't watching.

He was the model patient until the doctor tried to actually get near his nose. They ended up first restraining him by wrapping him in a sheet. He did not like that all. Then they tied him down to a papoose board. Even worse. It doesn't really restrain his head very much, so the doctor had no success and he even inhaled it further up in his nose. They had to call an ENT doctor and we waited another 2 hours. That's a long time for a little guy to wait, especially when they wouldn't let him eat anything in case he had to be sedated.

Thankfully, he did not need to be sedated. The ENT doctor was successful at first try. When the nurses came in to help, they suggested we try the papoose board again. Aaah! I suggested we try letting him sit on my lap as the doctor first told me we would do. My mama-instinct knew that would be easier on him. My legs were wrapped around his, my arm holding his arms and my other arm holding his head against my chest. I was holding him very tight and the doctor had it out in a few seconds.

Here are some pictures of him coloring very impatiently. The next two pictures are taken by him as I tried to vainly entertain him.



Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Tom said...

I got a button battery out of a little girls nose the other day. It wasn't in very far though. All i did was have her take a deep breath, I plugged the other nostril and had her blow. It came out on the second try.

I'm glad Tim is ok. Tell him from now on only fingers.

Christine said...

Poor Timmy....what an ordeal! We are glad he is okay and the "bead-le" is out of his nose!

The Spiveys said...

I'm glad it all turned out okay! Boys are so silly. I think every single one ends up putting something up their nose or in their ears.