Monday, March 30, 2009

Doctor appointment #1

I think of Joseph affectionately as my little runt. Like in a Charlotte's Web sort of way. At some point, I'll stop telling Ben, "Well, he was born two weeks earlier." Ben just shakes his head. According to my calculations he was. The first two kids were born 8 days after their due dates and Joseph was induced a week before his due date. Got it? For the record, I know that a full-term baby can be born anywhere from 38-42 weeks.

Anyway, he had a great doctor appointment on Friday for his six month check-up. He is 27 1/2 inches long and weighs 15 pounds 15 ounces. That puts him at 75th and 15th percentiles according to the growth charts. He's really pretty healthy. My only concern has been his skin. Specifically, his face. It is super-dry a lot, some days worse than other days. And it's only on his face. The doctor won't diagnose it as eczema, but he did give me a steroid to use sparingly. I may not use it at all. I read that dairy in a mom's diet can irritate some babies' faces, so a few days ago, I cut way back on dairy in my own diet and I think it has already made a huge improvement. I haven't had a glass of milk in 4 days! I probably drink 3 glasses a day. We're also big cheese eaters and I probably have ten pounds of cheese in the fridge. I think I'll have to cook up some cheesy dishes and just refrain from eating. I don't want it to all go to waste!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Bonny said...

What a cutie! My mom came across a book about a year ago called "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride that has changed her life. It's about how the health of your digestive tract affects all aspects of your body, and that a host of medical conditions, including autism, schizophrenia, depression, and even things like eczema and allergies, are a direct result of what's going on in your digestive tract. She talks about how to heal your system and balance the good and bad bacteria in your body. My mom changed the way she eats and has seen huge changes in her overall health, including her rosacea (a skin condition).

Thatcher also has very sensitive skin (I would call it eczema). I switched to using Aveeno cleanser for him in the bath and it seems to have helped.

Cool that cutting back on your milk intake has already helped him! He really is adorable.

Hilary said...

don't be afraid to use the steroid cream. my allergist said that untreated eczema is much more likely to cause scarring than a little bit of steroid. my experience with brennan (really bad eczema that was due to food allergies) was that it would clear up really well after just 1-2 applications, and i didn't have to use it often. my allergist also recommended a soap-free, frangrance-free cleanser called Aquaphor, followed by an emolient right after the bath.

Laura Hennessee said...

Thanks for the advice! You guys are great!